Saturday 29 October 2016

New Drawings, Bridget Riley, Barnoon Workshop and My Art World.


Above is a bleeding narrative version of a drawing that I completed last night. Sharpies, uni-pin and gel pen.


Above is a drawing I started and finished in last nights session using a sharpie and white gel pen, I am really enjoying that it seems to nod at op art. A nod to and not a copy of because most op art I see is meticulous in its process like DNA. Take Bridgit Riley who I am a great fan of ever since seeing and buying The Faust Tapes album by Faust. I was mystified by the music in the grooves a very out there record indeed. The bonus was Bridgit Riley's cover art 'Crest'. I was not allowed to show it for some reason on my blog.

Thinking of this image makes me want to post a few of my line drawings which also link with her astonishing work, certainly an influence on what I do but I do find the way I do it is different enough for me to feel I am not copying. I feel my line drawings are my own. I work in a much more free style and am less up for perfection, I want imperfection and some life. Although I am driven by process I am not a machine.
On the line drawing below that I completed not so long ago, you can see different strata signifying each session I did on different days. I did do it all with the same pen that was dedicated to being used only on this drawing. It delivered the ink in slightly different ways every time I sat down to work on it, the nib must have been wearing too. I have even left the pen in this photo so you can get the scale of it.




Above is a close up of that line drawing to give you a better idea of what is going on within its many lines nor do I wish to count them either.


Above and below are two more line drawings that I did earlier in the year that are nice and rough but they still seem to be a bit op art.


Other events today:

The Barnoon Workshop team of my wife Zoe Eaton, Erin Lacy and myself did a halloween crafts session for kids that was a lot of fun.

I have been asked to curate a wall in a busy St Ives cafe starting next half term, a nice little opportunity I am more than happy to do, more about that later.

Other news the clocks go back tonight here in the UK and after this busy week of workshops an extra hour in bed tomorrow will be very welcome. I am not exhausted but I am tired.

I am feeling very comfortable sharing what I do with the world. Since the end of February I have done this blog everyday. It was and is my intention to try and keep this up to show what an artist might do and what work is put in to nearly every day towards exploring my work and trying to get it out into the world. I suppose that can be view as a bit vain and it might be but the reaction I get from people who like or buy my work I do get some very favourable reactions. I also get some other reactions like 'you did all those dots, you're mad', ' I can't look at that it mucks my eyes up' to one that always amuses me and I am not sure why it does. 'Anyone can do this......' said with a kind of distain as I think to myself yes but you didn't did you.

So off for some food and drawing, cheers all and thanks for reading what goes on in my art world.

No comments:

Post a Comment